Antabuse – instructions for use, price, reviews and analogues
Antabuse is used for medicinal purposes, in order to avoid exacerbations in persons susceptible to persistent cravings for alcohol. Because of disulfiram, negative sensations appear — redness, “burning” of the face, vomiting, heart rhythm disturbances, and increased pressure.
Such effects force to give up drinking, the patients being treated according to the reflex appear rejection of the aroma, taste components of alcohol. After taking https://stop-alcoholism-meds.com, it is absorbed in the digestive tract at a level of 70-90%.
HOW IT IS PROPOSED FOR IMPLEMENTATION
- Antabus 200 tablets soluble, effervescent, 100 pcs. in polymeric containers or bottles made of dark glass, in the package container, Antabus 400 (effervescent), sold in 50 pieces. in polymer containers or dark glass bottles, the package contains a container.
- Antabus gel.
Antabus is a medication for getting rid of alcohol addiction. Contains Disulfiram. The effect is noticeable due to the blockade of acetaldehyde dehydrogenase, which aids in the processing of ethanol when acetaldehyde increases, which causes unpleasant symptoms. In the human body, Disulfiram becomes diethyldithiocarbamate in the form of glucurone conjugates or diethylamine, carbon sulfide (part of it is excreted by the lungs).
DOSAGE HOW TO APPLY
The tablet is taken on an ongoing basis, orally (taking the medicine by mouth). The dose of the drug is determined individually. First, the doctor prescribes the reception of Antabus according to the 200-500 mg scheme, a maximum of twice daily. 7-10 days after the start of the treatment course, a disulfiramalcohol test is performed (after Antabus (500 mg) is taken, the patient is allowed to drink vodka (20-30 ml)). When a not bright reaction appears, the volume of alcohol increases by 10-20 ml (maximum – 100-120 ml at one time).
The test is carried out after 1-2 days, if a person is being treated in a hospital, after 3-4 days, if the treatment is provided on an outpatient basis (the amount of drink and medicine is changed).
Upon completion of the basic therapeutic course, a maintenance amount of Antabus is determined to avoid exacerbations. 150-200 mg is taken daily. Supportive treatment is allowed for a maximum of 36 months.
Before taking the tablet, it is dissolved in a half full or full glass of water. Before the start of the treatment course, a complete diagnosis is made of the person who wants to be treated. Also, a person is warned about negative manifestations. The patient is warned about reactions of alcohol aversion.
Antabus gel is given intramuscularly. This is a coding from an addiction to alcohol, the frequency is different. The option is determined by the doctor after conducting a conversation with someone who intends to get rid of the addiction to alcohol. Only a specialist will be able to choose an effective technique.
When treating with Antabus, negative effects may occur, based on the presence of disulfiram in the drug, the Disulfiram-ethanol compound. Disulfiram negative results:
- Metal taste;
- Pain in the head;
- Hepatitis (not always observed, seen in people with nickel eczema, without drinking);
- Odor caused by the presence of carbon sulphide in persons with colostomy;
- Malfunctions of the brain in relation to memory and consciousness, lack of strength;
- Polyneuritis of the lower extremities;
- Optic neuritis;
- Allergies in the form of a rash, redness.
Unpleasant phenomena from the combination of the Disulfiram component with ethyl alcohol:
- Dysfunction of the heartbeat;
- Edema of the brain;
- Dysfunction of the central nervous system;
- Myocardial infarction;
- Problems with the respiratory system, the appearance of a feeling of suffocation.
With long-term therapy with the medication Antabus, negative effects may appear in the form of psychosis (similar to those shown by persons in a state of alcoholic intoxication), gastritis, hepatitis, and polyneuritis entering the acute stage. Cerebral thrombosis may occur in individuals with cardiovascular dysfunction with long-term therapy with Disulfiram. When the patient complains of paresthesia, Antabus is canceled.
If during the treatment of Disulfiram a person drinks vodka in a volume of more than 50-80 ml (or another alcohol-containing liquid in the same amount), then he may feel severe disturbances in the functioning of the respiratory system, there is a dysfunctional heart and blood vessels. Cramps and swelling may also appear. In such situations, you should choose drugs that remove poisoning, prescribe analeptics, symptomatic medications.
WHO DOES NOT NEED TO ASSIGN
Antabus is not suitable for people with:
- Rejection of the constituent of Disulfiram;
- Severe dysfunctions of the cardiovascular system;
- Hearing impairment (including auditory nerve neuritis), vision (including optic neuritis, glaucoma);
- Emphysema, pulmonary tuberculosis, bronchial asthma; Obvious malfunctions in the liver;
- Diabetes mellitus;
- Diseases of organs involved in hematopoiesis;
- Epilepsy, convulsive syndrome of various origins; Exacerbation of peptic ulcer;
- Unstable work of the central nervous system;
- Malignant tumors;
- Kidney disease;
- Polyneuritis of various genesis.
Relative prohibitions on taking Antabus medication:
- Diseases of the heart, blood vessels during compensation;
- Age category over 60;
- Disulfiramic psychoses in history; Peptic ulcer in remission;
- Residual manifestations of dysfunction after cerebral blood flow dysfunction.
Antabus is carefully prescribed to patients taking oral anticoagulant medications. This appointment is based on a likely increased risk of bleeding. Patients with hypothyroidism, low renal function, Antabus should be taken only under medical supervision, taking into account the possible negative effects.
Pregnancy, breastfeeding are prohibited conditions regarding the appointment of Disulfiram.
During treatment with the medication Antabus, a regression of the body’s response to alcoholic beverages was observed when taken together with ascorbic acid. Antabus is not compatible with booze (exception – in cases of testing when the metered intake of heavy drinks is provided for in the treatment plan). The combination of ethanol with Disulfiram is the basis for the appearance of erythema, facial flushing, heart rhythm disturbances, vomiting, and significant cardiovascular reactions.
Do not use Antabus while taking:
- Isoniazid (behavior may be disturbed, coordination may be lost);
- Derivatives of 5-nitroimidazole, not excluding secnidazole, ornidazole, metronidazole, tinidazole (confusion appears, delirious dysfunctions are observed);
- Phenytoin (the concentration of its phenytoin in the plasma increases significantly due to the inhibition of the processing of this substance, the toxic effect of phenytoin takes place). When it is impossible not to combine these funds, the serum phenytoin content should be monitored, and the amount should be adjusted in time.
Antabus is taken with caution with:
- Warfarin, other anticoagulant oral medications (coadministration with disulfiram increases the effect of anticoagulants, increases the likelihood of bleeding). If this combination is required, the patient should control the level of warfarin, blood coagulation;
- Theophylline (Disulfiram increases plasma concentrations of theophylline, resulting in poisoning). The amount of theophylline decreases while taking Disulfiram;
- Benzodiazepines (Disulfiram has a sedative effect on medications taken together). Taking into account the effect of benzodiazepines, you need to change the amount;
- Tricyclic antidepressants (with this compound, the effect of Disulfiram increases, the rejection of alcohol-containing liquids increases, this causes serious consequences even with a small amount of drinking).
EXCEEDING THE PERMISSIBLE VOLUME
Large amounts of Disulfiram build up the negative reactions based on the combination of Disulfiram and ethanol. This situation causes severe dysfunction of the central nervous system (the worst option is the onset of coma), the development of neurological pathologies, the appearance of cardiovascular collapse. The treatment direction is selected based on the symptoms that appear when the volume is exceeded.
CONDITIONS, STORAGE TEMPERATURE
Antabus is kept out of the reach of children. Temperature range – maximum 30C.
WHAT IT IS WORTH TO DO IN ADDITIONAL
Those who choose Antabus are warned of the threat of a binge intolerance reaction. When used in conjunction with oral anticoagulants, frequent tests of prothrombin concentration are performed, a change in the dosage of anticoagulants is needed to avoid opening bleeding. Antabuse is rarely prescribed for patients with renal failure or hypothyroidism, the rule is especially important when there is a risk of taking it with alcoholic beverages.
WHERE TO BUY ANTABUS?
It is possible to buy Antabus in pharmacy chains. Online ordering is also available at online pharmacies. There are a lot of offers, there will be no problems with finding a product and ordering. But it is not recommended to use the medication on your own, without medical supervision. Only the doctor-narcologist, after examining the patient, talking with him, will determine exactly which coding method to choose, how best to use the tool.
Zinoviev A.D. “If you are not afraid to take a powerful tool and are not afraid of the many side effects, then Antabuse will do. You will definitely not want to drink. Daddy was appointed by a doctor After a week of treatment, you need to make a test for alcohol, for which they take 20-30 g of vodka. Then Antabusa needs to be drunk less, but it takes a long time to be treated. I will definitely say: the drug helps. My father hasn’t been drinking for 4 years, he refuses even on big holidays. “
Maridov Z.K. “I have been drinking a lot for a long time, but I haven’t admitted to myself that there is a problem. The mother made me go to a narcologist, who recommended Antabuse to be treated. Then I could not live without alcohol, warnings about the consequences of combining the drug with alcohol did not help. I drank and was very sorry, I thought I was dying. I haven’t had such a hangover. I didn’t want to experiment anymore. He was treated for a very long time, but the remedy really helped. “
Safyanova A.A. “I know about female alcoholism by my own example. I stayed with the child myself, did not notice how alcohol turned from a sedative into enemy number 1. Thanks to fate: someone appeared who extended a helping hand, made me go to the doctor, started taking Antabus, 500 mg every day. It’s good that there is such a remedy. Having tried to drink during the treatment, I was very sorry. Now I don’t drink, and I haven’t been pulling for a long time. Life has improved, I am a good mother and wife again. “