What is Pregabalin prescribed for?
Pregabalin: what is the drug prescribed for? Composition and release forms of the medicinal product, indications for use and side effects
Surely, when visiting a pharmacy, many more than once noticed a drug such as Pregabalin on the showcase, for which the medicine is prescribed can be found in this article. In a nutshell – the medication is an anticonvulsants-info.com, which is extremely necessary for epilepsy or muscle cramps of various etymologies. On the pharmaceutical market, this tool is considered one of the most effective of its kind.
Types and composition of the drug
Pregabalin has a powerful antiepileptic effect in a very short time, and also actively affects the mental activity of the patient. It is thanks to these qualities that the drug stands out among the many alternative means.
The fundamental component of the medication is pregabalin. It has another important property – it eliminates pain sensitivity. You can notice the result from the use of antiepileptic drugs in a week. By this time, the frequency of seizures decreases markedly. But it should be borne in mind that the absorption of the active substance will become much more effective if you use Pregabalin on an empty stomach.
The auxiliary components of the drug are:
- Hydrogenated starch hydrolyzate;
- Lactose disaccharide;
- Magnesium chloride;
- Titanium dioxide;
The release form of Pregabalin is a capsule with a powder. They are intended for oral administration. On the shelves of pharmacies you can find the following types of medicines:
The above types of medication differ exclusively in the amount of the active ingredient, but the method of application, indications and composition are identical.
Indications and contraindications
It is recommended to use the drug in the following cases:
- Neuropathic pain caused by poisoning of the body or metabolic disorders (for example, diabetes mellitus);
- Epileptic seizures;
- Fibromyalgia (pain in muscles, tendons, and joints).
Often, a specialist prescribes treatment with Pregabalin in combination with other healing agents for anxiety attacks.
As such, there are no restrictions on taking medication. However, doctors do not recommend using this anticonvulsant for:
- Individual intolerance to the components of the drug;
- Hereditary ailments. In this case, we are talking about those diseases that provoke disturbances in the metabolism and processing of carbohydrates. And all because the drug contains lactose, which is not tolerated by every organism;
- Children under the age of 18. The composition of Pregabalin is not safe and can harm the body that has not yet matured.
In addition, the use of the drug should be carried out with caution if the patient has pathologies of the heart, kidneys or liver. This should also include people who have experienced these diseases in the past.
Application of Pregabalin
The instructions for the drug indicate the classic way of taking capsules. However, you should know that self-treatment with Pregabalin can lead to negative consequences, since the course of therapy and dosage are often selected individually by the doctor, based on the patient’s condition.
Usually, the use of an anticonvulsant is carried out up to 3 times a day, regardless of food intake. The daily rate is no more than 600 mg.
The treatment plan depends on the type of disease:
- Neuropathic pain. With this pathology, the doctor gradually increases the dose and concentration of the medication every four days until the symptom disappears;
- Epilepsy. The dosage should be adjusted carefully for such a disease. For maximum results, it is necessary to increase the amount of medication no more than once a week;
- Panic attacks. Treatment of the disorder is prescribed individually on a case-by-case basis. It is prohibited to change the dosage without the consent of a specialist;
- Fibromyalgia. Pregabalin is consumed no more than twice a day. After three days of therapy, the concentration of the remedy can be increased.
- The duration of the course is prescribed by a specialist based on the improvement or deterioration of the patient’s condition.
Usually, side effects concern those patients who violate the rules for taking the drug or have an increased sensitivity to one of the components of Pregabalin. Common symptoms include:
- Memory impairment;
- Violation of taste;
- Trembling in the body;
- Verbal communication disorders;
- Malfunctions of the vestibular apparatus;
- Chronic sleepiness;
- A sudden feeling of elation or depression;
- Unreasonable irritability;
- Clouding of consciousness;
- Deterioration of vision;
- Heart rhythm disorder;
- Blood pressure drops;
- The onset of symptoms of heart failure;
- Rapid and labored breathing;
- Feeling nauseous leading to vomiting
- Urinary incontinence;
- Painful sensitivity in the arms and legs;
- Muscle cramps;
- Strengthening the work of the sebaceous glands;
- Runny nose;
The presence of the above manifestations is a bell to consult a doctor for advice. The specialist will either correct the medication intake or completely cancel the Pregabalin therapy.
It is very important to get acquainted with the following features of the drug:
- It is undesirable to use medication throughout pregnancy. Since its composition is not safe and can greatly harm the baby in the womb. Treatment with the drug is allowed only in extreme cases, when the life of the expectant mother is in danger. According to statistics, after taking the drug, most girls in the position had babies with serious pathologies or miscarriages;
- The drug is also prohibited during lactation, since there is no data on the effect of Pregabalin on a newborn. If a young mother urgently needs therapy with this medication, then breastfeeding must be stopped. Replacement with any other analogs is welcomed, the composition of which does not negatively affect the born baby, but has the desired therapeutic effect;
- Elderly people who have reached the age of 65 should take this remedy in a lower dosage, since the drug has a negative effect on kidney function. Treatment should take place exclusively under the supervision of a doctor.
These are the features that Pregabalin has, for which the medicine is now known.